Food is the major source for serving nutritional needs. In Ayurveda, the classification of foods is done on the basis of six tastes – sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter and astringent. With growing modernization, some traditional methods are being given up due to which modern food habits are affecting balanced nutrition. As a result, there are several nutritional deficiencies that one has to deal with the help of Ayurveda, one can incorporate healthy choices and it is easier to include essential vitamins and minerals to maximize your health and live life to the fullest.
Top 10 Essential Vitamins and Minerals For Healthy Body Are:
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin C
- B-complex Vitamins
- Omega 3, Omega 6
- Zinc and Selenium
- Vitamin E
How Ayurveda Can Help?
In Ayurveda, 6 tastes have been described and each of them has a significant role in our physiology, health and well-being. For example:
1. Madhura (Sweet taste): The sweet taste benefits the mucus membrane throughout the body. It is nutritive, energizing and has a cooling effect on the body.
- Moong beans, honey, barley etc. are predominantly sweet but they do not tend to increase the Kapha dosha.
2. Amal (Sour taste): The sour taste is digestive so it increases appetite, increases secretions of the salivary gland and digestive enzymes and stimulates metabolism.
- Amalaki, pomegranate, limes etc. are the examples of sour taste. These are cooling in nature and tend to reduce heat.
3. Lavan (Salty taste): The salty taste in the diet increases salivation, supports digestion, absorption and elimination. It helps in muscle strength, nourishes the rasa dhatu (Plasma) and also maintains water-electrolyte balance.
- Natural mineral salt or rock salt is cooling in nature and balances Pitta dosha.
4. Katu (Pungent taste): Warming to the body, pungent taste clarifies the sense organs, kindles the digestive fire, improves digestion, absorption and elimination. It helps in balancing kapha dosha in the body.
- Ginger and garlic, cloves, coriander, cumin, fennel etc. have predominant pungent taste.
5. Tikta (Bitter): Taste: Bitter taste purifies the blood, cleanses and supports the liver, drains excess moisture from the body, tones muscles and skin, acts as a digestive tonic etc.
- Guduchi (giloy), turmeric, dandelion etc. are bitter tasting herbs.
6. Kashaya (Astringent) Taste: The astringent taste is a flavor of dryness that is generally produced by the tannins in the bark, leaves, outer rinds of trees, fruits etc.
- Haritaki is considered as a very strong astringent in Ayurveda. fruits such as pomegranate, apples, sprouts, avocado, cranberries etc. are astringent.
Herbs that are commonly used in Ayurveda for fulfilling vitamins and mineral deficiencies are:
1. Triphala: Triphala, a mixture of 3 herbs has been used since ages. It is a powerful source of antioxidants. It can be used as a daily tonic due to its rich antioxidant activity.
2. Shigru (Moringa oleifera): Shigru contains all the essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals. Its leaves have been eaten for thousands of years as a superfood nutritional supplement.
Read: Shirgu, Properties, Parts used, Health benefits, Medicinal uses, Home remedies: Complete details
3. Hadjod (Cissus quadrangularis): The stem of a Hadjod plant resembles the shape of bones and joints in the body and indeed it is very effective in strengthening the joints and bones. It is a rich source of carotenoids, triterpenoids and ascorbic acid.
4. Black pepper (Piper nigrum): Black pepper is widely used to metabolize the fat thereby helps in the absorption of fat -soluble vitamins.
5. Flaxseeds: Flaxseed oil is rich in omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). These seeds improve strength and immunity as well.
Moringa: Ayurvedic superfood nutritional supplement!!
IAFA Moringa Capsules: IAFA Moringa capsules contain the standardized extract of the herb Moringa (Moringa oleifera). These capsules fulfill the nutritional needs of the body as they are rich in essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals. These capsules support bone and joint health and are good for cardiovascular system as well.
Dose: Take 1-2 capsules twice a day.