Enlarged Prostate in men known as Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) is a nonmalignant enlargement of the prostate gland caused by the excessive growth of prostatic tissue. It commonly affects men above the age of 40 years. So, let’s understand how one can treat enlarged prostate through Ayurveda in this publication.
Enlarged Prostate – According to Ayurveda
Enlarged prostate is comparable to Mootrghata in Ayurveda. It is caused due to deranged Apana Vata (sub-type of Vata dosha). According to Ayurveda, in this condition, vitiation of Vata and Kapha doshas are involved which causes Mootravaha Srotodushti.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Enlarged Prostate
As per Ayurveda, vitiation of Vata-Kapha doshas is responsible for enlarged prostate so Vata-Kapha shamaka (pacifying) treatment is administered for reducing the size of the prostate as well as enhancing the tonicity of the urinary bladder.
Top 5 Herbs that are Useful in the Treatment of Enlarged Prostate
Ayurvedic treatment of enlarged prostate focuses on many plants and plant preparations for the management of urogenital disorders as per the principles of its pathology.
1. Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata):
- The bark of Kanchnaar is used in Ayurvedic practice for the management of enlarged prostate.
- The anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor properties of the bark of kanchnaar are useful in suppressing further growth and reducing size.
2. Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris):
- Gokshura provides relief to the enlarged prostate due to its mutral (diuretic) and sheeta (cold) properties.
- Due to these properties, gokshura helps in reducing inflammation and burning sensation during urination which are common complaints in enlarged prostate.
3. Guggul (Commiphora mukul):
- Guggul is a gum resin that contains guggulsterone.
- Guggul is a natural anti-inflammatory resin that helps in the reduction of pain and inflammation caused due to enlarged prostate.
- It helps in balancing Vata and Kapha doshas thereby managing prostate health.
4. Shilajit (Asphaltum):
- Shilajit is effective in the management of enlarged prostate as it helps in relieving frequent urination, improves urine flow, decreases prostate gland size, etc.
- It helps in ensuring healthy prostate, optimal urogenital function, and bladder function in men.
- It also exhibits strong anti-inflammatory action that soothes pain associated with an enlarged prostate and combats other symptoms as well.
5. Varuna (Crataeva nurvula):
- The herb Varuna possesses an anti-bacterial property that helps in fighting infection-causing bacteria in the urinary tract and helps in keeping the bladder infections at bay.
- It also helps in treating kidney stones.
- This herb is also helpful in relieving pain, inflammation, and associated discomfort.
Diet and Lifestyle Modifications for Enlarged Prostate
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Include walnuts, and almonds in the diet.
- Include sweet and juicy fruits in the diet as these help in the formation of healthy rasa dhatu (nutrient fluid) that promotes the formation of ojas in the body.
- Care should be taken to avoid constipation as constipation causes the imbalance of Apana Vayu leading to the accumulation of ama in the body channels.
- To balance Apana Vata, daily massage with oil is recommended.
- Take frequent breaks while sitting for long periods of time. This normalizes the energy movement to the prostate.
- Don’t suppress natural urges as the proper flow of Apana Vata depends on an uninhibited down and outflow.
- Include spices such as turmeric, fenugreek, cumin seeds, and fennel in the diet.
Ayurveda is a personalized and individualized line of treatment. Hence, an expert Ayurvedic practitioner is the best person to guide through the right path of alternative treatment for enlarged prostate.
To get authentic Ayurvedic treatment, you can call us at (+91) 961-218-0000.