Are you worried as your little one feels uncomfortable due to a sore throat? Pain, itching, and a general feeling of discomfort can keep your child away from sleep or food. It is best to use natural remedies for sore throats in babies. Ayurveda can effectively treat symptoms of pharyngitis or sore throat in babies. These home remedies not only effectively manage the condition but also do not pose the risk of side effects. This article is your go-to guide for complete information about sore throat in babies, from causes, symptoms, and natural home remedies to Ayurvedic sore throat treatment.
Ayurvedic perspective of Sore Throat
Ayurveda emphasizes that common issues like cough, cold, and sore throat occur due to imbalances in the elemental energies or doshas. Due to this derangement, individuals become susceptible to catching infections and have symptoms of pain in the throat, difficulty in swallowing, cold, and others. Moreover, a sore throat is also a symptom of a common cold or pratishyaya. The ayurvedic philosophy stresses calming the symptoms through herbal supplements and making alterations in diet and lifestyle to enable the tissues to heal faster.
Causes and Symptoms of Sore Throat in Babies
Sore throat in babies can occur due to the following reasons:-
- Common cold:- Babies usually have sore throats due to a viral infection, which produces flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, and runny nose.
- Hand, foot, and mouth disease:- Hand, foot, and mouth disease is a common issue in children, and it begins with fever and sore throat, which is followed by the appearance of rashes and blisters on the mouth, hands, feet, and in the buttock region.
- Strep throat:- This condition refers to the bacterial infection of the throat and is common amongst children. The symptoms are fever, sore throat, pain in swallowing, white spots on the tonsils, and red rashes over the body.
- Tonsillitis:- welling of tonsils due to infection can result in symptoms like sore throat, lymph node swelling, and pain in swallowing.
Natural Remedies for Sore Throat in Babies
Ayurvedic science emphasizes diet and lifestyle modification as they are crucial for complete well-being. The following tips, when followed with herbal supplements, can bring astonishing results.
1. Hot fomentation:- You can give hot fomentation to the throat by placing a warm cotton cloth (heat it with iron) over the baby’s throat. Remember, babies’ skin is sensitive, so the cloth should not be too hot; instead, check the temperature before using it on babies’ skin.
2. Honey:- Honey is quite popular in Ayurvedic medicine as it is usually advised to mix herbal powders before intake. Furthermore, honey has potent anti-inflammatory properties; therefore, one teaspoonful before bed can help to soothe the sore throat.
3. Ginger:- It is effective in removing the accumulated mucus from the respiratory tract. Ginger also has analgesic or pain-killing qualities. Adding ginger to tea can help the child to feel better as the pain and mucus subsides with its usage. It also helps to kill the bacteria that are responsible for respiratory tract infections.
4. Turmeric milk:- Turmeric has potent antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties; therefore, turmeric milk is also called a natural antibiotic and golden milk helps reduce swelling and pain in your kid’s throat.
5. Tulsi or holy basil:- Tulsi is an essential ingredient of all Ayurvedic cough syrups. The herb has antipyretic qualities and helps to lower the body temperature. It helps to thin the mucus in the respiratory system so that you can give tulsi tea to your child, or if the baby is older, then you can ask the child to gargle with warm water infused with tulsi leaves.
6. Oil massage:- Prepare oil with mustard oil and add 3-4 garlic cloves to it. Heat the oil till the garlic cloves turn brown; now add carom seeds to it. Strain the oil and apply it to the child’s throat and chest when lukewarm.
Best Ayurvedic Medicine for Sore Throat in Babies
Ayurvedic treatment aims at restoring the doshas’ balance through herbal supplements. IAFA Ayurveda has developed unique herbal combinations that effectively treat sore throats in babies. The formulations are prepared so they are easy to intake for tiny babies.
IAFA Respiratory Care X Drops
IAFA Respiratory Care X drops are a unique blend of respiratory wellness herbs, including vasa, kantakari, jeevanti, yashtimadhu, ela, and others. The formula is 100% natural and if your child is suffering from respiratory issues having symptoms like common cold, cough, blocked nose, pain during swallowing, difficulty in breathing, chest congestion, and pain in the chest then IAFA’s Respiratory Care X Drops are simply the best. These drops are easy to administer and can make your child better within a few doses.
IAFA Total Care 3X Rasa
The unique blend supports the health of the respiratory system and digestive systems of your child. The medicine promotes healthy metabolism and alleviates digestive as well as respiratory issues. The medicine is completely safe for your baby, as shown by different certificates and licenses. When your baby is cranky due to cough, cold, or difficulty in breathing then IAFA’s Total Care 3X Rasa can heal your baby by providing total care.
IAFA Respiro Detox Formula
IAFA Respiro Detox formula is an excellent formula for the detoxification of the respiratory system. Ayurveda believes that diseases occur due to the accumulation of toxins inside the body and this medicine is effective in eliminating these toxins. The medicine is safe for children and the doses depend on the weight of the baby. The medicine has a unique combination of herbs that maintains the doshas balance and assists in faster recovery from respiratory issues.
Ayurveda can treat sore throats in babies by striking the root cause of the disease at the elemental level and balancing the doshas to reach a state of internal harmony. Natural remedies for sore throat in babies are an effective way to eliminate annoying symptoms associated with sore throat.
If you or your loved one suffers from a sore throat or an allergy, you can contact IAFA’s diligent team of doctors headed by Dr. Sahil Gupta. IAFA is one of the most trustworthy and committed institutions to making the world a better place through its original and holistic approach. Dr Gupta’s team treats all types of allergies using 100% natural and herbal products.
Shah, R., Bansal, A., & Singhi, S. C. (2011). Approach to a Child with Sore Throat. The Indian Journal of Pediatrics, 78(10), 1268–1272. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-011-0467-0