Through this blog, let us know about how we can get rid of Angioedema permanently.
Angioedema is characterized as the swelling of the lower layer of skin and tissue in which the skin of the face, around the mouth, mucosa of the mouth or throat as well as tongue swell for minutes to hours. The swelling can be itchy or painful. The swelling affects deeper layers of skin like mucosa layer, subcutaneous layer, sub-mucosa layer, etc. It is considered as a very distressing, frustrating, and challenging dermatological condition with no satisfactory treatment in modern medicine.
What are the Symptoms of Angioedema?
- Swelling of the tongue, lips, genitals, etc.
- Slightly less sensation in the affected areas.
- Rarely severe abdominal pain
What are the Causes of Angioedema?
The major causes of Angioedema are:
- Certain medications
- Contact with plant latex
- Genetic reasons
- Insect bites
- Use of contraceptive pills
What are the Causes of Angioedema – According to Ayurveda?
According to Ayurveda, contaminated or impure blood is said to be the causative factor. It is described as Tridoshaj Vyadhi disorder with the predominance of Vata and Pitta doshas and Ras and Rakta are the main dushyas.
What is the Treatment of Angioedema?
In modern medicine, antihistaminic medicines are prescribed but in Ayurveda, the treatment of Angioedema includes Shodhan and Shaman Chikitsa. Ayurveda provides the detailed information about toxins and various methods of purging these poisonous substances out of the body and restoring healthy skin by establishing equilibrium of Tridosha (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) and Sapt dhatus (7 body tissues).
In Ayurveda, there is a clear and systematic mention of the treatment of the disorders caused due to the vitiation of blood tissue. Ayurveda has given considerable importance to Doshagati. The treatment is based on Shodhana, Shamana and Bahi Parimarjana Chikitsa.
Some Herbs Useful in the Treatment of Angioedema are:
- Nimba (Azadirachta indica)
- Patola (Trichosanthes dioica)
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Vasa (Adhatoda vasica)
- Kantakari (Solanum surattense)
These herbs are Tikta rasa Pradhan dravyas (having bitter taste). Tikta rasa is Vishaghana (anti-allergic), Kandughana (pacifies itching), Kusthaghana (pacifies skin disorders), rakta shodhana (purifies blood), etc.
For Shodhana (purification), there are various herbs available such as:
For Sanshaman Chikitsa (conservative treatment), certain herbs are prescribed such as:
- Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Shuddh Gandhak (Purified sulphur)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica)
Diet and Lifestyle
Pathya and Apathya plays an important role in the management of any disorder according to Ayurveda.
- Drinking clean water.
- Intake of light and easily digestible food.
- Intake of fresh and seasonal fruits.
- Prefer warm and freshly prepared food.
- Spicy food
- Non-vegetarian food
- Application of chemical-based cosmetics on the skin.
- Day sleep
- Use of medicines without the prescription of doctor.
Yoga and Pranayam in Angioedema
- Nadi-Shodhan Pranayam
- Bhastrika Pranayam
- Kapalbhat Pranayam
Therefore, Ayurvedic treatment has a lot of potential in the treatment aspect of allergic skin disorders including angioedema by using various formulations under the guidance of an expert Ayurvedic physician. Book your appointment to consult an expert Ayurvedic physician now.