Anaphylaxis is defined as the hypersensitive reaction of the body towards certain types of foods such as nuts, peanuts, mushrooms, insect bite such as penicillin, non – steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, latex of plants etc. In severe cases, it is an emergency condition that requires intense treatment.
Symptoms of Anaphylaxis
- Symptoms related to cardiovascular system such as lightheadedness, dizziness, tachycardia, low blood pressure.
- Symptoms related to digestive system such as nausea, gastritis, colic pain of abdomen, diarrhea.
- Respiratory system symptoms such as difficulty in breathing, wheezing, congestion, tightness of chest.
- Skin related symptoms such as itching, allergic hives, redness.
Causes of Anaphylaxis
According to Ayurveda, people having Vata and Pitta body types have a tendency for anaphylactic reaction. This is because people with Vata type body often have low ojas or weak immunity due to under-nourished dhatus (tissues).
People having Pitta dominant body type are more prone to anaphylactic reaction because their body and mind react aggressively to sensitive or incompatible food.
Due to regular intake of wrong food combinations, there is a build up of slow dosha and Ama (toxins) build up and these doshas circulate all over the body and may or may not produce symptoms initially.
When the increased doshas into an aggravated state are exposed to allergens and suddenly get lodged in the skin, cardio-vascular system or the digestive system and cause the respective symptoms. This takes place in a short period of time in a few seconds or minutes.
How Ayurveda Can Help in the Treatment of Anaphylaxis?
Ayurvedic treatment helps to cure anaphylaxis naturally by eliminating the root cause. Ayurvedic treatment helps in building the immunity and helps the person to reduce the intensity and frequency of anaphylactic reactions.
Ayurvedic treatment helps in curing the anaphylaxis naturally by helping in improving the digestion strength by digesting the ama (toxins) and preventing the formation of ama as well.
The Ayurvedic treatment of anaphylaxis depends on the system that has affected.
Various herbs that are useful in the treatment of anaphylaxis are:
- Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Chavya (Piper retrofractum)
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes)
- Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Agastya (Sesbania grandiflora)
- Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa)
- Amalki (Emblica officinalis)
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
Some Ayurvedic Formulations that are Helpful in the Treatment of Anaphylaxis
If the patient is experiencing symptoms of the respiratory tract, the following medicines can be helpful:
- Sitopladi Churna
- Agastya Rasayana
- Shwas Kuthar Ras
If the Symptoms Are Related to Skin:
- Gandhak Rasayana
- Pippali Rasayana
If there are Digestion Related Complaints:
- Sanjivani Vati
- Triphala Churna
- Sutashekhar Ras
For Cardiovascular Symptoms:
- Prabhakar Vati
- Dashmoola Rasayan
Diet and Lifestyle
- Make a list of allergies-causing foods and avoiding them help immensely.
- Intake of easily digestible food is recommended.
- Include spices such as turmeric, coriander, cardamom, cumin seeds in the diet.
- Nasya, oil pulling, herbal smoking, oil massage, exercise should be done on regular basis.
- Certain purification therapies such as virechan (purgation), vaman (emesis) with appropriate Ayurvedic treatment under the guidance of an eminent Ayurvedic expert will help in curing anaphylaxis naturally.
The Ayurvedic cure of anaphylaxis ignites the digestive fire and helps the body in getting rid of all the mid-way metabolites from the system. Unfortunately, there is no treatment for anaphylaxis in the modern system of medicine and the patients have to depend on corticosteroids and intravenous antihistamines but the Ayurvedic treatment seems to be promising for anaphylaxis without causing any adverse effects. Book an Appointment to consult now with our health expert Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.).