An unpleasant episode of a bout of diarrhoea can be the most uncomfortable condition to deal with. If the stools are watery and are passed 3-4 times a day then it can be considered Acute diarrhoea where as if the diarrhoea lasts for more than 2-3 days in adults and more than 24 hours in children then it is regarded as Chronic diarrhea and its the time to visit your doctor. But through this blog, we will share with you the Top 5 Home Remedies for Diarrhoea Natural Treatment. These home remedies are quite helpful in restricting acute diarrhea and also cleansing your gut and strengthening good useful bacteria in the gut.
Know, it’s time to visit the doctor!
Before we can start, we would like to mention some situations where you must visit a doctor without trying any natural home remedies on your own.
- Passing blood or pus along with stools.
- Black or tarry stools.
- Pain in the rectal area or the abdomen while passing stools.
- If the stools are watery and uncontrollable even after trying some home remedies.
- Significant weight loss associated with diarrhea.
- A fever or severe dehydration after passing stools.
- Chronic diarrhoea.
Best and effective home remedies for diarrhea
These home remedies are effective and can help you recover from diarrhoea naturally.
1. Rehydration is the best thing to start with!
The first thing one needs to do is to rehydrate the body. Continuous episodes of diarrhea can result in the loss of excess fluids from the body resulting in severe dehydration. Dehydration can be identified by dry mouth and excessive thirst. Rehydration helps in the Diarrhoea Natural Treatment.
Rehydrate your body with
- Plenty of water
- Fresh fruit juices to restore potassium.
- Starchy liquids like arrowroot water, barley water, rice gruel, and coconut water can reduce the frequency of stools.
- Oral rehydration solutions loaded with electrolytes are a good option.
- Sports drinks are quite useful in rehydrating the body by restoring sodium and potassium.
Avoid drinks like
- Alcoholic beverages like beer, wine, and cocktails.
- Caffeinated beverages like tea and coffee can further irritate the stomach.
- Carbonated drinks like soda can cause gas and bloating.
- Very hot drinks
These drinks can further irritate your gut which worsens the condition.
2. Probiotics are your savior
Probiotics are nothing but good, healthy, and gut-friendly bacteria and are one of the best Home Remedies for Diarrhoea. These bacteria restore the essential good bacteria in the gut and aid in fighting off the infection in the stomach and also flush away the harmful toxins and threatening bacteria.
Probiotics are readily available in the form of pills, get advice from your doctor before taking any and also available in the following foods. Consider taking these foods regularly to develop gut-friendly bacteria in the gut.
- Traditional buttermilk
- Pure A2 curd
- Broccoli (may not be a good choice as it can cause bloating).
- Kale, watch out if you have a kale allergy.
- Some cheeses
- Sourdough bread
- Other fermented foods like idli and dosa.
- A2 milk
- Fruits like Apples and watermelon are good sources of gut-friendly bacteria.
- Green olives
Probiotics are useful in protecting the intestines and also maintain good bacterial balance in the gut. Good bacteria might have been altered or flushed by using the antibiotics or maybe due to infections, which cause diarrhoea. So to treat the root cause, a probiotic is one of the best Home Remedies for Diarrhoea.
3. Protective and gut-friendly diet
Many recommend we stay away from solid foods and consume only fluids as solid food may be hard to digest and can be a burden on the gut that may worsen the condition. But several research studies have suggested that the consumption of certain foods will help with diarrhea.
Foods that are low in fiber, and rich in carbohydrates will help in reducing bloating and also the bulkiness of the stool. Studies have shown that “BRAT” foods have been proven to be effective in diarrhoea.
- Apple sauce
Other bland foods like
- Chicken soup
- Baked chicken breast without skin or fat
- Plain cooked rice
- Boiled potatoes without skin
- Plain pasta
- Soft-cooked eggs
These foods are easily digested, lite on the stomach, firm in forming stools, and can increase the protein too. These foods are used for Diarrhoea Natural Treatment.
4. Avoid these foods at any cost
As we already said that food might be avoided by many diarrhoea patients until they recover, but the above-mentioned foods are good for the gut at the same time avoid the below-mentioned foods to prevent yourself from frequent passing of stools.
- Foods that are rich in fiber,
- Greasy and oily foods,
- Spicy foods,
- Foods that cause bloating,
- Foods that irritate the stomach,
- Packaged foods with artificial flavors and sweeteners,
- Fried foods and
- Junk foods.
It’s recommended to keep lite on the gut and eat only easily digestible foods.
5. Herbal foods are a great rescue
Some natural foods are found to give relief from diarrhea and are one of the best Home Remedies for Diarrhoea. Not only these foods can provide relief but also strengthens the gut and helps in restoring gut-friendly bacteria.
- Ginger is the best natural food that is the best for the stomach. It relieves gastrointestinal symptoms and also treats the cause of diarrhoea. It eliminates toxic bacteria and also is effective in stomach upset.
- Bael fruit helps in killing the harmful bacteria that cause diarrhea. Boil the bael fruit in the water and drink the warm water as it helps in reducing the colonization of bacteria in the gut.
- Pomegranate is the best fruit to treat diarrhea as it shows anti-inflammatory action in the gut and reduces frequent bowel movements.
A quick wrap-up
Bouts of diarrhoea can make you weak and are sometimes terrible. Even though it is the most common condition that can be seen in people of any age but if ignored can become serious. So, getting early Diarrhoea Natural Treatment is the best way to naturally get relief. One can easily stop diarrhea by following the brave-mentioned home remedies but if the diarrhoea persists for more than 2-3 days then you have to visit the doctor as soon as possible.
You can schedule an online consultation with Dr. Sahil Gupta to receive personalized guidance on managing the disease using Ayurvedic methods. Dr. Sahil Gupta, based on his expertise, can suggest dietary changes, lifestyle modifications, and herbal remedies to treat the disease naturally.
Never let dehydration worsen the condition, treat it by taking plenty of fluids and remember when the gut is bad, soft and easily digestible food is the best. And, a big NO to the heavy foods that can further irritate the stomach and of course, naturally available herbal foods are the best option to restore the gut bacteria and strengthen the digestive system.