Everyone, especially teenagers are very cautious about the beauty of their face as the face is considered as an important part of the body. Acne is a common skin problem that affects the majority of youngsters. If this condition remains untreated, it leaves permanent scars over the face. It is a chronic inflammatory condition of the skin.
Symptoms of Acne
- Small red, black or pink eruptions which are non-itching in the initial stage.
- In later stages, pus-filled eruptions
- In severity, fever, discoloration or cystic growths may be found.
Causes of Acne
- Hormonal balance
- Vitiation of blood
- Intake of excess spicy food, fried and junk food.
- Acne may also occur during menstruation in females.
- Stress can worsen the situation.
- Not drinking adequate water during the day.
- Applying chemical-based cosmetics.
Causes of Acne – According to Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, acne may be correlated to Yauvanapidika which occurs due to the vitiation of all the three doshas Vata, Pitta and Kapha along with Rakta dhatu (blood tissue). The vitiation of Kapha dosha resembles excess production of sebum, Vata vitiation may resemble hyperkertainization and Rakta dhatu and Pitta dosha resemble with inflammatory mediators in blood. All these factors play an important role in the pathogenesis of acne.
Both Ayurvedic and modern treatment of acne include the use of topical and oral medication and their combination but in Ayurveda, acne is treated mainly by giving emphasis to Shodhan Chikitsa (purification) and Shaman Chikitsa (conservative treatment).
- Shodhan Chikitsa (Purification): Almost in all texts of Ayurveda, Shodhan Chikitsa is prescribed as the prime treatment of acne. It includes purgative herbs to expel the excess Pitta from the body. The property of blood tissue is analogous to Pitta dosha, therefore Shodhan Chikitsa is also effective in Rakaja Vikara.
- Shaman Chikitsa (Conservative Treatment): Shaman Chikitsa in Ayurveda includes the use of topical as well as oral formulations such as pastes, pills, oils, scrubs, etc. as these formulations normalize the vitiated doshas. The Ayurvedic pastes act as astringent, anti-inflammatory anti-bacterial. The pastes are generally prescribed for application on the oily skin
Home Remedies to Heal Acne Naturally
- Lemon: The outer peel of lemon is dried and made into ash. This is mixed with buttermilk and applied over the area of acne for 10-15 days. This remedy will help in reducing the lesions of acne.
- Neem leaves: In cystic acne where there is local skin infection, applying the paste of neem leaves with a pinch of turmeric powder is very beneficial.
- Pomegranate peel: Prepare a fine paste of the tender leaves of pomegranate, guava and mango and apply over the lesions of acne regularly. This remedy will help in reducing the spots of acne and beneficial for oily skin as well.
- Amla: Amla is the richest source of Vitamin C which can be consumed regularly in the diet to deal with acne.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera is known for soothing the skin that is inflamed and painful. Apply fresh aloe vera gel and leave it for 30 minutes and then wash it off with water.
Medicinal plants have a long history of use and have been shown to possess no side effects.
Some Herbs Useful in Healing Acne Naturally
- Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa)
- Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Daruharidra (Berberis aristata)
- Khadira (Acacia catechu)
- Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus)
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia)
Dietary Management in Acne
- Take light and easily digestible food.
- Include seasonal fruits and vegetables in the diet.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Wash face frequently
- Include astringent and bitter food in the diet for detoxification.
- Avoid the intake of fried and oily food.
- Avoid taking non-vegetarian food.
- Avoid spicy food.
- Reduce stress
- Avoid touching pimples frequently
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight and pollution.
- Avoid the use of chemical-based cosmetics.
Some Yoga and Pranayam for Healing Acne Naturally
Thus, Ayurveda can certainly contribute in the natural healing of acne providing great relief in papules, pustules, redness etc. with no adverse reactions. For more details, please contact IAFA Ayurveda® now.